Sunday, April 11, 2010

Let it be

I've been working on finishing some table tops for my local..Went this morning to install two more and found one of the previous ones deeply scratched.  I was furious!  How could anyone be so careless?  Doesn't anyone know what went into making them?  Doesn't anyone care? 
I paused and reconsidered. 
I know no one was careless.  I know what went into making them.  I care about how they look.  Then I realized that it was all about me!  It wasn't supposed to be.  Somewhere along the line I lost sight of the bigger picture.  To me the table tops had become art.  I can make art for me, or I can put my art out there and have it be touched, judged, and yes, even scratched.  My joy came in the moment of giving it life, and NOT from telling it how to live.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, have found it difficult to 'let things be'. When I finally achieve this state of grace, a wonderful calm surrounds me, like a soft blanket or three furry sleeping cats. Niiice.

    ReplyDelete